Who are money mules?
A money mule is a person who transfers stolen or illegal money between different countries by receiving the funds into his/her own account first and then withdraws it or wires it to another account, for a small percentage.
- Criminals will often use fake job adverts, or create social media posts about opportunities to make money quickly, in order to lure potential innocent individuals
- Don’t respond to job adverts or social media posts that promise large amount of money for little amount of work
- Research a potential employer, usually overseas, before handing over your personal or bank account details
- Don’t allow anyone you don’t know or you don’t trust to use your bank account to transfer money in and out
- No legitimate employer or company will ever ask you to use your personal bank account to transfer their money