Half Term fun - without spending a penny
It only seems like yesterday that we were talking about children being Back to School, and yet now Half Term is just around the corner. Here's our top five tips for making sure that you have fun this half term - without spending a penny.
- Find free activities in your local area: Your council will almost certainly have planned activities, and many local attractions arrange free things to do as a way of showcasing what they can offer to you and your family. Now is the time that your local paper will be writing articles about Half Term activities, or do an internet search for your area
- Go to a museum: There are many free museums that cater to children, whatever their age, and provide a programme of activities during Half Term. If your children have a special interest, it's a great place to fuel their imaginations
- Get Outside: Get some fresh air, while it still warm enough (just). Make the most of what’s on your doorstep, by visiting a local landmark, park or woods. Take a packed lunch for an autumn picnic. If you and your family have bikes, the National Trust has some great family bike rides throughout the UK.
- Arrange a sleepover: Best friends never run out of things to say to each other, so arrange for a special friend or relative to come and stay for the night. You could start events with a 'home cinema' by closing the curtains and putting on a film. For the real cinema experience add popcorn – which is not free, but if you buy popcorn kernels you can make it yourself in minutes for a fraction of the cost of ready popped
- Visit your nearest library: Libraries are great places for children whatever time of the year, but during Half Term they typically offer a whole range of activities, from readings to arts and music, competitions and much more. Libraries in cities typically have a wider range of activities, so check out those too.
You'll be able to save money if you have at least a few 'free' activities during Half Term. You may want to save this money towards a more expensive treat for the children in the future. If you don't already have a savings account, it would be quick and easy to open one with Al Rayan Bank. We offer some of the best rates of return in the UK, enabling you to profit from your savings while staying true to Islamic values. To find out more, please visit our savings pages where you can find out more information, and request a call back from a member of our customer service team.