Important information about the Whitechapel branch
Like many banks in the UK, Al Rayan Bank is finding that more and more customers are choosing to access their banking services via their computer or mobile phone, rather than their local branch. As customer demand for branch services reduces, this means that we are having to take some difficult decisions regarding where we continue to operate retail branches.
The Whitechapel branch, at 97-99 Whitechapel Road, London, E1 1DT will be permanently closing on Wednesday 11 August 2021.
Customers' current banking arrangements, including account numbers, sort codes and any standing orders or Direct Debits they have set up will remain the same, and if we make any further changes which affect products, either before the branch permanently closes or afterwards, we will write to customers affected separately.
If you are affected by this closure, we want to reassure you that we have made alternatives available to you.
Why we are doing this
Al Rayan Bank is the UK’s largest and longest established Sharia compliant bank and remains fully committed to supporting the UK Islamic finance sector.
However, banking – like many retail sectors in the country – is changing, with fewer customers choosing to use branches. This trend has been accelerated by the Covid-19 pandemic and the subsequent changes in consumers’ behaviour.
How to continue to bank with us
- Digital Banking: Our Digital Banking app allows you to bank with us easily, quickly and more securely from your phone or computer. The app is available to customers using IOS and Android devices and more information can be found at alrayanbank.co.uk/mobile. Our Business Banking Mobile app is available at alrayanbank.co.uk/business-mobile.
- Telephone Banking: You can check your balances and instruct payments to nominated accounts through our 24-7 automated Telephone Banking service. All personal banking customers are eligible for Telephone Banking; if you’re not currently using the service, you can call us on 0800 408 6407* to activate it.
- Post: You can continue to deposit cheques into your account by sending them to us directly at Al Rayan Bank, PO Box 12461, Birmingham, B16 6AQ. Please ensure all cheques are payable to yourself.
- Lloyds Bank: A cash and cheque deposit service is available to all Al Rayan Bank customers through Lloyds Bank branches throughout England and Wales. There is no limit on the number of deposits you can make at a Lloyds Bank branch, but please be aware that each counter visit incurs a £3 fee.
The closest Lloyds Bank branch is less than a mile from the Whitechapel branch at 3-5 Whitechapel Rd, Shadwell, London E1 1DU.
Withdrawing your funds
There are several free cash machines near to the Whitechapel branch’s location.
- HSBC, 75 Whitechapel Rd, Shadwell, London, E1 1DU
- Habib Bank UK, 65 Whitechapel Road London, E1 1DU
- Lloyds Bank, 3-5 Whitechapel Rd, Shadwell, London E1 1DU
- Tesco Cashpoint, 5 Commercial St, Shadwell, London E1 6BF
Daily cash withdrawal limits are currently capped at £250 per day for personal customers and £500 per day for business customers. Should you require a withdrawal limit in excess of this, please call us on 0800 408 6407* to discuss your requirements.
If you require an Al Rayan Bank debit card to withdraw funds from your Current Account, please call us on 0800 408 6407*.
If you need to withdraw funds from an Al Rayan Bank instant access savings account, please register for Digital Banking or Telephone Banking, if you have not yet done so. Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 408 6407*.
Closing your account
We hope that one of the options outlined above is a convenient method for you to continue to bank with us. However, we understand that you may wish to review your banking arrangements in light of the announcement of the Whitechapel branch’s closure and we aim to support you fully through this process.
If you need to transfer funds electronically to another account, please contact us on 0800 408 6407* to arrange a free transfer. Alternatively, you can arrange this through the Digital Banking app or in branch.
Here to help
We are keen to answer any questions you might have regarding these changes and provide any additional support that you may need. If you have any concerns about your accounts or questions about the services available to you, please speak to a member of staff or call us on 0800 408 6407*.